Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Blueberry Muffin Recipe

Coming to us courtesy of The Moores Six

Blueberry muffins:

I found this recipe in an issue of Wondertime a year ago. It has become the only muffin recipe I use – the kids love it. You can use different fruit too. I use blueberries and raspberries typically, but one of my friend uses only raspberries and yet another only blueberries. Best of all, they freeze great! So, after I make them, I divide them up in batches and freeze some for future use!

Makes 24

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
16 ounces sour cream
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups light brown sugar, packed
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups blueberries (if frozen, do not thaw)
2 tablespoons sugar

Heat oven to 375.

Line two 12-cup muffin tins with muffin-cup liners. This recipe won't work without them. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat eggs with sour cream until thoroughly combined. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt together butter and brown sugar, about 3 minutes. Cool slightly, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, then beat this mixture into egg mixture. Stir in oats.

Fold in flour mixture and then — very gently — fold in berries. Fill muffin cups about three-quarters full. Sprinkle a pinch of sugar onto the top of each muffin.

Bake for 25 to 28 minutes, or until edges are medium brown and tops are firm.

Cool for 5 minutes, then remove muffins (in their papers) and finish cooling on rack.

I usually skip the sugar on top. Sometimes I lessen the brown sugar and use honey or agave nectar in it’s place – but I have no exact formula to share. I always use one cup of ultragrain flour and one cup of white whole wheat flour. And lastly, I always add flax meal. In case it isn’t obvious, I can’t stick to a recipe to save me! But my point is you can play with it and they still turn out wonderful!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin