Cherry-Almond Breakfast Bake
(Recipe from August/September 2010 Kiwi Magazine)
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats (I use multi grain cereal sometimes)
- 4 cups 1% milk
- 1 cup raw almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dried cherries (I've used many different types of dried fruit, it's all good)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (I've used vanilla extract when I was out of almond)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 9 X 13 baking dish.
- In a blender, combine the ground flaxseeds with water. Blend on high for 1 minute, until the mixture is frothy. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, milk, almonds, cherries, maple syrup, cinnamon, almond extract, and salt. Stir in the flaxseed mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 45 minutes.
Serve with additional milk and maple syrup, if desired.
The oatmeal bake will last in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can microwave individual servings for 1 to 2 minutes to reheat, or heat in the oven until desired temperature.
You can also cut the left over oatmeal bake into squares (or scoops) and freeze for a later date. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and heat up in the morning for a great quick breakfast.
Do you have a favorite recipe that you would like to share? Please send us an email.