The recipe comes from Great Food Fast, a great cookbook from the Martha Stewart Empire. You can also find this recipe, along with a lot of other quick, easy and nutritious family friendly recipes, on Martha Stewart Food.
Sweet Corn Fritters (Serves 4 )
- 3 ears corn, husks and silk removed
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Remove kernels: Cut off tip of each cob; stand in a wide shallow bowl. With a sharp knife, slice downward to remove kernels. To bowl, add milk, egg, sugar, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; mix. Fold in cornmeal and flour.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with paper towels. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium. Working in two batches, drop batter into pan by heaping tablespoons. Fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt; place in oven. Repeat. Keep warm in oven up to 30 minutes. Serve with sour cream, if desired.
You might want to throw together a dipping sauce to go with them. Of course my kids love a combo of mayo, ketchup and season salt but I don’t think it’s the ideal flavor combo for the corn. My recommendation is a bunch of freshly chopped herbs (dill and parsley are perfect), garlic and salt stirred into mayo or sour cream.
Next up, homemade bacon, onion and corn white pizza! The girls love this as well! I'll post the recipe later this week.
If you have questions, requests or suggestions for my column, please let me know. I would love to hear from you! Either comment below or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.